Monday, March 21, 2011

One of Those Recipe Posts

Yes folks, I am going to be one of those people that posts recipes on her blog. My theory is, if I make something and I love it, I want to share it! So here you go, recipe post numero uno....

Iced Soft Gingerbread Cookies

Cookie:
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup sugar
a pinch of salt
1 egg
1 tablespoon honey
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of allspice
1 tablespoon candied lemon peel, finely chopped or lemon zest (I actually used orange because I didn't have a lemon)
1/2 cup grated almonds (I omitted these because I'm not a huge fan of nuts in cookies)
3 tablespoons milk
4 tablespoons butter

Icing:
2 large egg whites
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
3 cups powdered sugar

Mix flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, egg, honey, cinnamon, and all spice. Add peel or zest with almonds and milk. Cut the butter into small pieces and scatter over the  mixture. Mix well using the dough hook of an electric mixer. Turn the mixture onto a floured work surface and knead by hand to smooth dough. Form into tow rolls, wrap in aluminum foil and chill for 1 hour. Once the cookie dough has been chilled, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with baking parchment paper. Cut the rolls of dough into slices approximately 3/4 inch thick. Roll into balls, place on parchment paper. Flatten slightly and bake for about 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.

For the icing, using an a electric mixer, beat the egg whites with the lemon juice until combined. Add the powdered sugar and beat on low spread until smooth and well-combined. Frost cookies immediately as the icing hardens quickly when exposed to air. Cover tightly with plastic wrap if not using icing immediately. (I drizzled my icing, but you can dip it, coat it completely, or whatever else you'd like to do.)

So there you have it. Credit goes to the cookie book my friend Meighan has. I'm pretty sure that book contains magical recipes. Every time I go to her house she has tried another one and the cookies are always delicious. This particular recipe has been my favorite. My roommates and people in my ward devoured them. Hope that you enjoy them as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment